Friday, July 18, 2008

Our Realtor, the Pit Bull

After the general inspection, our realtor recommended we set up a bunch more inspections to get bids for the work the general inspector recommended we have done on the property: electrical, plumbing, heating, roofing, and structural/retrofit. She immediately got on the phone, and the electrical and heating guys were there within the hour. They both independently described her as the pit bull of East Bay real estate--when she calls, they know they better get there pronto.
The electrical guys explained that the old knob and tube wiring in the basement has been disturbed so many times that it is fragile, brittle, and in need of being ripped out and replaced. Fine with me--knob and tube scares the heck out of me. I'd replace all of it, but I also have no desire to take the house down to the studs. Bid: $900.
The heater guy joked with us that he didn't go to college and has a "real job" that requires sliding around in the mud under houses. Is it that obvious Mr. EBB and I aren't tradespeople? I'm good with a wrench.... Anyway, the furnace and water heater are both past their useful lives. Bid: $4625. I'm actually really excited to have that work done because we'll be able to replace the systems with much more efficient, energy-saving and earth-friendly ones. Going from a 60% efficient furnace to a 95% efficient furnace will cut our heating bills too.
The money is adding up here, and it's freaking both of us out a bit. Since this house is at the top of our price range, we're probably going to have to dip into the banks of Parents EBB and Parents Mr. EBB for some serious loans. I hate doing that, but at least we'll be able to pay them back very quickly once my $$ job starts in November.

No comments: