Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Negotiating

We've been moving forward little by little, and it's nice to be back in ping-pong stage with the sellers rather than stuck in the limbo of waiting for inspections to be done. The engineer hired by the sellers decided that the foundation does not have rotation, which is excellent news. The sellers responded to our credit request and were surprisingly reasonable on most items. We still are fighting over some minor structural stuff and new copper pipes (they claim the low water pressure in the master shower was disclosed, we say not so much), but I think we're going to have a deal soon!

I think our realtor is kind of amazed that we're planning to do so much work so soon after buying the property, but I feel like every day that we don't do it is a day that we're wasting. If we have the money, why shouldn't we get every day's worth of enjoyment out of a fixed roof possible? Ha. I've been thinking about the repairs, and I believe my priorities are:

1. remove knob & tube wiring from basement and attic (before we even move in, if possible)
2. minor roof work
3. necessary structural work
4. new furnace
5. new water heater
6. new pipes

The k&t is the killer for me (hopefully not literally). I'll do a post next about k&t and the East Bay and why being "conservative" can be a good thing.

No comments: